Become a Leader with the Y!
Teen Leader’s is program for youth ages of 12 to 18. Through volunteer service, team building and leadership exercises, the youth enrolled in this program learn what it means to be an effective leader in their community and what skills are necessary to be a part of a larger team. The Teen Leaders program not only allows youth to learn these skills but also the opportunity to put them into action, giving them a safe and judgment free environment to succeed or fail as a leader. The program is also youth driven, meaning that the program participants pay the primary role in planning and implementing the weekly program.
JOIN US SUNDAYs AT 7:15PM!
Meetings are held in the Camp Combe Lodge or at the Community YMCA, 106 Titicus Road, North Salem.
Upcoming Events: CLICK HERE to see our google calendar!
2018-2019 Program Year
- September: What is a Leader? (Goal setting, planning)
- October: Who is in your team? (Networking-building & fostering, Negotiating/Compromise)
- November: Financial Management (Budgeting, Credit & Loans, Investing & Retirement)
- December: Personal Habits (Time management, setting priorities,
- January: Defining Yourself (Leadership Styles, Career Exploration, College Search/Placement)
- February: Being A Mentor (Leading Vs Mentoring, Fostering Values in Others)
- March: Community Engagement (Finding a cause, how to start a movement, how to work through government to impact a cause)
- April: Healthy Lifestyles (Nutrition, Cooking Skills, Working Out/Exercise)
- May: Employment (Resume Writing, Interviewing, Leveraging Job Experience)
- June: College & Career Training (Getting the most out of college, Setting your sights on career achievements, Using the summer)
A strong component of the Teen Leaders program is volunteer service. Volunteer service, whether organized by the club or done individually by the leader, is a requirement to belong to the program. It is the belief of the program that volunteer service provides a perfect platform for education through engagement and can help leaders learn more about their community, others and themselves.
WEEKLY WORKSHOPS, TEAM BUILDING & LEADERSHIP EXERCISES
As a part of the weekly meetings, Teen Leaders participate in a variety of workshops, team exercises and leadership building projects. Following a monthly theme leaders will have the opportunity to participate in exercises that help them develop personally and professionally. Exercises can include low-ropes courses, creative problem solving exercises and career development workshops.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL ENGAGEMENT
The Teen Leaders program is part of an international program involving thousands of teens from across the glove. Teens enrolled in Teen Leaders are invited to participate in regional rallies during which Leaders clubs gather to work on leadership skills and to discuss how they can better serve their communities. Rallies encourage teens to push their boundaries in order to develop their skills and abilities.
For more information contact Shannon Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org